Director of Marketing and Communications
When applying for this position, I understand that all information on my application is subject to verification. In addition, criminal background checks are a condition of employment.
Below you will find the details for the position including any supplementary documentation and questions you should review before applying for the opening. To apply for the position, please click the Apply for this Job link/button.
If you would like to bookmark this position for later review, click on the Bookmark link. If you would like to print a copy of this position for your records, click on the Print Preview link.
|Position Type||Professional Faculty|
|Working Title||Director of Marketing and Communications|
|School/Unit||School of Engineering|
|Department||Dean's Office Engineering|
|Number of Months||12|
|Tenure Status||Non-Tenure Eligible|
|Grant funded position?||No|
Position Summary and Qualifications
|Mission or Goal of Unit||
A) Build upon our legacy of student-centered learning to prepare the inter-disciplinary leaders of tomorrow, B) Conduct research that makes a positive difference in our community and human kind, C) Create and nurture a highly collaborative, creative, innovative, and entrepreneurial culture and D) Provide a global, real-world perspective of engineering in the learning experience. The School emphases growth of basic and applied research in six areas of multi-disciplinary research including: sustainability and energy engineering, micro and nano electronic systems, pharmaceutical engineering, mechanobiology and regenerative medicine, security and mining of big data, device design and development.
|Chief purpose of this position in support of above mission or goal||
Responsible for effective enhancement of current marketing and communications activities along with strategy development and implementation of new programs for the VCU School of Engineering and it’s affiliated units. The position will direct a team of staff along with direction and coordination of vendors.
• Strategy and program development, execution and implementation of marketing and communications for the VCU School of Engineering (SoEgr) and its affiliated units.
• Direction and supervision of internal and external personnel for copywriting, graphic design, and production of marketing and communication materials such as the Engineering magazine, promotion of School speakers and events, press releases, School websites, and social media outlets.
• Responsive to communication needs of the School’s academic departments and affiliated units such as the Institute of Engineering and Medicine (IEM), Wright Microelectronics Center, Nano-materials Characterization Center, and future programs.
• To ensure the School’s compliance with University policies and procedures relating to marketing and communications activities of the School of Engineering.
• Manages the departmental budget and tactical marketing and communication activities to meet the strategic goals of the School.
• Works with the SoEgr Foundation for communications with alumni and industry stakeholders.
• Other duties as assigned relating to the advancement, awareness and promotion of the School, its activities, departments and programs.
• Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing, public relations, journalism, mass communications, or a related field is required.
• Masters level degree or training and equivalent work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree is required.• Eight (8) to ten (10) years experience in strategy development and implementation of programs and events for corporate or university marketing communications programs.
• Direction and supervision of internal resources and external contract writers, graphic designers, production personnel and vendors.
• Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse faculty, staff, and student environment or commitment to do so as a faculty member at VCU.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to effectively work with multiple stakeholders including the School and University administration, faculty, students, and the Engineering Foundation office.
• Ability to travel by automobile and public transportation.
• Ability to instruct courses for engineering students in communication skills, oral and slide presentations is preferred.
• Experience in an academic institution is preferred.
Posting Detail Information
|Open Until Filled||No|
|Application Deadline Date||04/20/2017|
|Proposed Hire Date||06/01/2017|
|Type of Search||National|
|Application Process/Additional Information||
Applications should submit a statement of interest and resume along with three (3) names of references and should be uploaded to www.vcujobs.com, position FA3120. Questions should be sent to Dr. John Leonard, Chair of the Search Committee, at email@example.com. The position will close on April 17 2017.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
How did you find out about this position?
- Alumni association magazine
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- Community event
- Email notification
- HERC (Higher Ed Recruitment Consortium)
- Higher education publication
- Internal Recruiter
- Job fair
- Job site (e.g. Monster.com)
- Professional association/journal
- Referred by person/employee
- Search firm notification
- VCU vacancy listing - eJobs
If you selected "Other" for your referral source, please indicate where you heard about this posting? (If you did not select "Other," please enter "n/a."
(Open Ended Question)
Do you have a Master's Degree or training and experience equivalent to an advanced degree?
Do you have experience working in a higher education setting?
Do you have experience in directing and supervising internal resources and external contract writers, graphic designers, production personnel, and vendors?
- Other Document
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application